Monday, September 28, 2009

Raccoons and Bun-gee Cords

We have raccoons.  No, they are not pets, but apparently we are feeding them.  Two nights ago I heard them so I sent Richard out to investigate.  The lid was off one of the trash cans.  When he went to put it back on, there were two raccoons staring back at him from the bottom of the can.  They didn't scamper off and Richard didn't want to trap them in the can so he just left them there.  The next day we moved all of the trash to one can and put a bun-gee cord over the top to hold the lid on.  This morning the empty can was still covered, but the other lid was laying in the grass with the bun-gee cord right next to it.  I guess  bun-gee cords are no match for little raccoon hands and to tell you the truth,  I've always wanted a pet raccoon.

Servant-hood

I have reached the "I quit my job 13 years ago when I started having kids and now my kids are in school  so what do I do?" stage of life.  I have two degrees, but I have been feeling NOT SMART and NOT ABLE to do anything "important" or "professional".  This all came to a head Friday night when I burned the pizza.  I know burned pizza had NOTHING to do with how I was feeling, but it sent me over the edge and all sorts of emotions came spilling out--including grief which is always lurking beneath the surface.  (Yuck!--and surprise for Richard!)
THE NEXT MORNING during my quiet time I was reading in Isaiah chapter 49....

3"You are my servant... in whom I will display my splendor."
4"But I said, 'I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing...
(But God, my resume isn't  impressive in the eyes of the world.  My experiences don't qualify me to do anything.  What was it all for?  What have you prepared me to do?)
"Yet what is due me is in the Lord's hand, and my reward is with my God."

Then God asked me the question,
"Is it too small a thing for you to be my servant?"

"Why... labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen to me... and your soul  will delight in the richest of fare.  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways... As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  (Is. 55:2)

No Lord, it is not too small a thing for me to be your servant.  Speak for your servant is listening.

No comments: