Friday, March 26, 2010

A soggy day

Today was Audra's field trip.  We went to St. John's  Church and watched a reenactment of Patrick Henry's famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech.  We were supposed to have a picnic afterwards, but it was raining so that part was cancelled.  What I found interesting/amusing about the trip was the bus driver.  Before we even left the school he was drilling the kids on where they were going and what happened there.  I have never heard a school bus driver give a history lesson.  Also before we left, we were strongly admonished to "NOT WRITE ON THE BUS WINDOWS OR YOU WILL HAVE TO WASH ALL OF THE WINDOWS INSIDE AND OUT .  (Remember it was raining so the windows were foggy.)  Then, on our way to the church, the driver proceeded to point out various Richmond landmarks.  Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything because of the foggy windows and I wasn't about to wipe the window off because I didn't want to WASH ALL THE WINDOWS INSIDE AND OUT.
The church and graveyard (including the graves of Thomas Jefferson's teacher and Edgar Allen Poe's mother) were fascinating.  I kept shouting "Here, here!" during Patrick Henry's speech against the tyranny of British government.  I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it even more than Audra did.

No comments: