Friday, January 29, 2010

Can you hear Him?

I was reading in Exodus chapter 6 this week and saw this verse...

"I am the Lord...I will free you...I will redeem you...I will take you as my own...I will be your God...I will bring you to the land I promised...and I will give it to you..."

Doesn't that sound great?  Wouldn't you be thrilled to hear God say those things to you?  I would like to think that I would say, "YES Lord!  Thank you Lord!  I will trust you!  You will do what you say!  Hallelujah!"

But the next verse says,

"Moses reported this to the Israelites, but they did not listed to him because of their discouragement"

Wow.  They were too discouraged to listen.  Too discouraged to hear the good news.  Too discouraged to trust God that things could get better.

I've been there.  I've been hopeless.  I haven't listened when God says there is hope for the future.  I'm doing better, but there are still days when I get discouraged and forget his promises.

Are you listening to what He is saying?  Can you?


"I falter sometimes when I try to say, 'It is good for me that I have been afflicted.'  But I can now and then catch a glimpse of the truth of it."
"The sense of loss abides with us.  That we cannot change or cease to feel.  But the love of God can be felt too... To look from the earthly years upward to the heavenly is to rejoice, even through the tears."
(Selections from "Consolation" by Mrs. Charles Cowman, c. 1944)

No comments: