Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's all in how you look at it...

Last night was our third football game.  This time instead of being up in the press box, I was in the stands.  This time I could hear the other parents talking about how their sons were not getting to play and I realized that it wasn't just Will.  Things got heated near the end of the game and one dad in particular became very vocal.  "Hey Coach, let somebody else play!  We need some new numbers out there!"    It was not good.  And we lost....again.

After the game I was working the concession stand and one of our smallest players--the son of the angry dad--came up to buy some fries.  He looked up at me with a smile on his face and said, "You know what's great?"  And because I had not seen anything great about the game except for the beautiful harvest moon over our heads I said, "No, what's great?"
"Our team has brand new football jerseys this year!  Isn't that great?"

Once again I was reminded that I have a choice in how I see my circumstances.  I can focus on what I have lost or I can focus on what I still have.  I can focus on the things that drive me crazy or I can focus on the things that give me joy.   I can focus on losing the game and not getting to play or I can rejoice that we have new jerseys and we look good!

No comments: