Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Benched


Will loves football.  This is his first year to play, but he is learning fast.  He didn't  mind the daily 2 hour practices in August.  He looks forward to the three nights a week of practice now that school has started.  He works hard.    I am the team mom and I have been working hard too--sending emails, passing out socks, making the roster, organizing volunteers, helping wherever needed.  We have both had fun getting ready for the first game.  On Saturday I was up in the press box and I watched Will complete a handful of plays in the first quarter.  Then I saw him on the field during the kick-off to start the second half.  The rest of the time I watched him sit on the bench...2nd quarter....3rd quarter....4th quarter....  I was  not happy.  I felt wronged.  And I couldn't let it go.  I got more and more upset as the day went on.  I wanted to quit being team mom.  I wanted to stop going to practices early and staying late.  I wanted to stop working so hard.
  
And what was Will's response?  When I saw him after the game he was happy!  "Did you see Mom?  We almost won at the last second.  We almost won!  And Mom, I'm the back up quarterback.  The coach said it's a very important position." 

I saw him on the sidelines, but he had stayed "in" the game the whole time.  He was a part of the team whether or not he was on the field.  He was ready if they needed him, but he was content to cheer his team on. 

Something our pastor said the next day got me re-thinking the whole situation.  I started wondering how God feels when we leave him on the sidelines.  He has worked hard on our behalf.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father   James 1:17
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  Ephesians 1:3
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.  2 Corinthians 9:8
He has done everything, and yet we don't invite him to call the plays.  We leave him on the sidelines and call him in when we get tired or in trouble, but he is not our first string.  He's our backup.  "Lord, I can do this myself.  I'll call you if I need you.  You just sit over there and watch." 
Does he respond like I did--with anger and resentment?  Does he just throw up his hands and walk away when we fail to appreciate him?  No.  I think he's more like Will.  He is always ready and he is on your team whether you call on him or not.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Psalm 46:1
But he doesn't have to be our backup quarterback.  Keep him in the game.  Let him call the plays and you will find that he is your MVP. 

3 comments:

Reba said...

Wonderful post, Marlo. Thank you for sharing! We are having a similar experience with our middle schooler and football...he has taught me so much about positive attitude and teamwork. He is excited about the times he plays and cheers on his teammates when he is on the side. God teaches us so many truths through our children!

Anonymous said...

Powerful post today. As a mother and grandmother, I know the feelings you expressed. Isn't it great when our children are an example to us?

Anonymous said...

Love it! ...Shawna