Friday, March 4, 2011

A God of Details

Today I received comfort from the book of Numbers.  Have you ever read Numbers?  It's a lot of ...well, numbers!  In chapter 3 God tells Moses "I have taken the Levites from among the Israelites in place of the first male offspring of every Israelite woman.  The Levites are mine, for all the firstborn are mine.  When I struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, I set apart for myself every firstborn in Israel, whether man or animal.  They are to be mine.  I am the Lord."  (Translation:  Every firstborn male is to be set apart as belonging to God, but he will take the whole tribe of Levi as belonging to him instead.  The Levites will serve God and he will be their inheritance.)
In order to complete this redemption Moses had to count the number of Levite males (22,000) and then he had to count the number of firstborn Israelite males (22,273).  When I read that I thought, "Hey neat, that's pretty close to being the same!"  If I were God, I would have just rounded down and called it an even trade.  But God doesn't do that.  Every person counted!  He said, "To redeem the 273 firstborn Israelites who exceed the number of the Levites, collect five shekels for each one."  
So Moses collected the redemption money from those who exceeded the number redeemed by the Levites. He collected silver weighing 1,365 shekels and he gave it to the priest and his sons as was commanded God.
In my journal I actually did the math, 273 extra sons x 5 pieces of silver = 1,365!
God is a God of details.  He knows exactly what is happening and every person counts!
This is comforting today as I ache for my sister and brother-in-law.  He was hit by a FedEx truck last night while riding his bicycle (training for a triathlon).  When I talked to my sister, she wasn't even sure what all was broken, but the injuries are from head to toe.
My sister doesn't know what all is involved, but God does!  He knows every detail of Marc's body.  "Not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.  And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid" (Matt10:29-31) (Translation: No one can get hit by a FedEx truck without God knowing it.  And all your broken bones are numbered.  So don't be afraid).
Proverbs 10:25 doesn't say IF you have storms in this life, it says, WHEN the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away, but the godly have a lasting foundation.
I am thankful that our family has a rock to stand on during the storms of this life.  We cannot understand WHY these things happen, but we can  trust in the one who knows what is happening and who cares about the details.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for healing for Marc and for wisdom, peace and grace for your sister--and for the entire family--peace. Elaine Meador

Lauren said...

Marlo,
I will be praying for Marc.
So sorry that happened. Do keep us posted. I will pray for your sister and family, too.
love you~

Anonymous said...

Please convey to your whole family how terribly sorry I am and that we will also stand with many others in prayer for this situation and God's hand to be seen
We love you
David and Dianna Campbell

MaryDelafieldCMC said...

Marlo, I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy. I am praying for him and for all to have God's peace and trust.
Mary Delafield

Liz said...

Praying for your brother in law!

Audrey Huber said...

Four years later we can see the good that has come out of this tragedy. God is good. God is all knowing.