Monday, March 21, 2011

Among Thorns

The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced.  (Mark 4:18-19)
According to this verse there are three things than can make us unfruitful.
   -the worries of this life
   -the deceitfulness of wealth
   -the desires for other things

When I desire other things instead of God's kingdom, I am unfruitful.  When my focus is on finding the perfect paint color and the perfect lamp, I am unfruitful.  When I spend my time shopping for things I don't really need, I am unfruitful.  When I worry about money, I am unfruitful.  When I am not content with what I have, I am unfruitful.  When I worry about what is going to happen tomorrow, I am unfruitful.

(But) the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!
When I hear God's word and put it into practice, I can be fruitful.  When I reach out to my neighbor, I can be fruitful.  When I call a friend, I can be fruitful.  When I trust God to know what I need, I can be fruitful.  When I spend more time on things that matter and less time on things that don't, I can be fruitful.

Don't get choked by the thorns of life--be fruitful!
  

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Marlo -
This post is SO great! Thank you for the great reminder. I want my life to be fruitful :-)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Good reminder - that bit about shopping for things I don't really need and then (surprise, surprise) worrying about money hit a little too close too home!

Lauren said...

This is great. I needed to hear these words! I get so caught up in the thorns sometimes. So glad you are writing. It is an awesome gift He has given you, friend.

Pamela said...

Oops - I'm "Anonymous" from above - just forgot to type my name in.