Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hold On

Christmas is supposed to be a happy time, but it's not always.  I have friends who are celebrating without their loved ones for the first time.  I have friends who may be celebrating their last Christmas with their child.  I have a friend whose father passed away last night so she will be flying in Christmas Day to help her mom plan a funeral.  I am praying for a pastor who was arrested last week and is still being detained while his family waits at home.  I have friends who are separated from their husbands.  Maybe Christmas is hard for you too.  Maybe you need to be reminded of the hope that we have because of Christmas.

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning." (Psalm 130:5-6)

I read words in Revelation this week that filled me with hope and encouraged me to keep pressing on...
"Only hold on to what you have until I come." (Rev 2:25)
"See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.  I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name...(Rev. 3:8)
"I am coming soon.  Hold on to what you have..." (v.11)

As I join the throngs in their Christmas buying frenzy, I aknowledge that I cannot hold on to anything I own.  I cannot even hold on to the people I love.  The ONLY thing I can hold on to is the truth that I believe.  I put my hope in His word and I press on to the open door before me THAT NO ONE CAN SHUT!
Wait.
Hold on.
He is coming soon.
Come quickly Lord Jesus.

4 comments:

Reba said...

Oh, Marlo, you just amaze me all of the time with your insight. Thank you SO much for sharing this. I am so used to Facebook...I keep looking for the "like" button to click. :) I have too many friends hurting this season, celebrating their first Christmas without someone by their side. And while I am not the one in that position (at least in this point in time), it will happen one year. As I get older and older and see the harshness of life and of sin and of pain, I long for Jesus to come back more and more...

Lauren said...

Love it, Marlo.
This is THE TRUTH. Thank you for reminding us...so good!
I hope you have a beautiful Christmas with your incredible family.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Kim in TN

Nikkie said...

thanks for the reminder!