Monday, June 8, 2015

Feelings are not facts...

If I don't feel like being a mom, it doesn't change the fact that I have three kids who need my attention.
If I don't feel like being married, it doesn't change the fact that I made a covenant with my husband 21 years ago.
When I was pregnant with my son, I felt like I was having a girl, but that didn't change the fact that he was a boy.
When a girl with anorexia feels fat, it doesn't change the fact that she is so malnourished that her hair is falling out and her period has stopped.  We don't encourage the anorexic to continue feeling fat. Instead we do what we can to help her see herself the way she really is.
This week I heard about trans-abled people who feel the need to be disabled.  Just because you feel like you should be paralyzed doesn't change the fact that you are able bodied. I would not encourage someone who felt like they should be an amputee to cut off their own arm.  I would encourage them to see and accept themselves they way they are.
Suicidal people feel like dying.  We don't encourage them to act on their feelings.  We do everything we can to change their feelings.
 So why is it when a man feels like a woman the world says those feelings are right.  The world says those feelings trump the fact that every single cell in his body has an X and a Y chromosome--which cannot be changed by any amount of surgery.  The world says his feeling are more important than the fact that he has a wife and kids who also have feelings. I do not understand this.
Feelings are not facts.  Feelings can and do change. The world tells us to follow our hearts.  But the Bible tells us,  The heart is deceitful above all things. (Jeremiah 17:9)
We must do what is right... whether we feel like it or not.

No comments: